The Blake School is an independent, nonsectarian, coeducational day school for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 with an enrollment of 1368. Founded in 1900, Blake draws students from almost 50 communities around the Twin Cities. The mission of the school is to provide students with an excellent, academically challenging education in a diverse and supportive community committed to a common set of values.
Job Summary: Blake seeks a dynamic, experienced professional to lead the full scope of the human resources function. Reporting to the Chief Financial and Operating Officer, the Director of Human Resources oversees employee compensation, payroll and benefits administration, employee relations, HR systems, staff performance management, onboarding/training/ development, and all HR policies and procedures. Provides key management support and guidance on all HR matters and supervises the payroll coordinator and an assistant.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Annually reviews and makes recommendations to executive administrators for improvement of the school's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Communicates changes in the personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation.
- Maintains responsibility for compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel, payroll and benefits administration matters.
- Develops and maintains a compliant human resource information system and other HR/payroll related systems that meet the school's personnel and information management needs.
- Provides a supportive environment for employees in crisis, while maintaining the needs of the school.
- Consults with legal counsel on personnel matters as appropriate.
- Works directly with executive administrators and division/department directors to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints.
- Manages and administers the school benefits program, including all health and welfare plans and the 403(b) retirement program.
- Manages the annual 403(b) audit process and form 5500 submission.
- Leads employee wellness and safety initiatives.
- Oversees administration of workers’ compensation and unemployment programs.
- Oversees administration of employee leave programs.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Supports administration in the annual contract and salary increase process.
- Provides backup assistance for the Payroll Coordinator.
Training and Development
- Administers the annual review process for non-faculty employees.
- Recommends, evaluates and participates in employee development for the organization.
- Facilitates or provides employee compliance training programs.
Employment Lifecycle Management
- Oversees management of the Applicant Tracking System.
- Advises and holds administration accountable to hiring best practices.
- Manages information flow for notification of new hires, terminations and employee status changes.
- Oversees the full cycle of the HR/payroll/benefit onboarding and offboarding process.
- Participates on committees and special projects.
- Completes HR-related sections of annual INDEX survey and responds to requests for HR information.
- Other duties as assigned or required.