The Blake School seeks to hire a PK-12 Modern and Classical Languages
Department Chair to lead our outstanding department starting in the
2021-22 school year.
The ideal candidate will have deep emotional intelligence, extensive
teaching experience in a PK-12 environment and a passion for sharing
best practice pedagogy in the field. Strong candidates will also
demonstrate familiarity with research about student learning,
language curriculum design, second language acquisition and
Blake’s Modern and Classical Languages (MCL) program is composed of
four languages: French, Latin, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. Students
begin learning Spanish in pre-kindergarten, a proficiency model that
continues through grade five. In Middle School, students choose among
the four languages. Upper School course offerings include Level 1
through post-AP in all four languages.
Curricular and Programmatic Leadership
- Develop a thorough understanding of the curriculum through
one-on-one conversations, classroom observations, department
meetings and a careful review of current courses.
- Identify opportunities to expand or enhance the MCL curriculum
within and across divisions.
- Collaborate closely with department faculty to oversee the
evolution and alignment of the curriculum, consistent with Blake’s mission.
- Teach up to two class sections, modeling best practices in
language instruction and inspiring a love of language learning in students.
- Design PK-12 and divisional department meetings and professional
- Partner with other department chairs and with division directors
to design, coordinate and integrate course content and offerings.
- Represent the department’s program on school committees.
- Oversee and communicate about department budget.
Faculty Support and Evaluation
- Build community and collegiality by being a reliable and
accessible presence across campuses and divisions.
- Collaborate closely with divisional administrators on hiring,
retaining, coaching and evaluating department faculty.
- Envision and support professional development for MCL faculty so
that each teacher can effectively implement a wide range of
best-practice instructional and assessment strategies.
- Support ongoing conversations about the role of intercultural
competence in MCL teaching and learning.
Institutional & Community Partnerships
- Coordinate with the Amity Institute to identify and orient two
Amity interns for Blake’s Lower School Spanish proficiency program.
- Collaborate with Admissions and Communications Departments to
share with constituents and prospective families the department’s
philosophy, vision and offerings.
- Develop and maintain connections with relevant programs,
institutions and thought leaders in the Twin Cities and beyond.
Blake is particularly interested in candidates who will enrich the
diversity of identity and lived experience that strengthens our
community and empowers students to engage across differences.
The search committee will begin reviewing resumes on Jan. 4; we
warmly welcome applications after that date, as well. Blake will cover
travel and lodging costs for finalist visits to campus.