Since 2000, the mission of LearningWorks is to offer challenging academic enrichment to a representative group of high-potential middle school students in the Minneapolis Public Schools, over summers and on school-year Saturdays. We also draw talented, diverse high school and college students into education by engaging them in the art of teaching. This unique partnership between The Blake School and Minneapolis Public Schools is an aspirational vision of what school and learning can be for all students, in a diverse community where "it’s cool to be smart, cool to be you, and cool to care."
LearningWorks is actively seeking a highly motivated and team-oriented Director of Student Services to join our diverse and dedicated team. The Student Services Director acts as Dean of Students during summer and Saturday programming, and serves as the primary director of student recruitment and student support coordinator with our liaisons at Minneapolis Public Schools. Collaboration is essential to the success of LearningWorks, and this position works closely with the other LW Directors. The Student Services Director is primarily responsible for student and family support and programming, communication with families, and program evaluation from the student perspective. This position reports to the Executive Director of LearningWorks.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Dean of Students for Summer and School Year Program
- Encourage positive student culture, aligned with LearningWorks norms and restorative practices.
- Develop program-wide student support and positive behavior practices, in coordination with teachers and administrative team.
- Facilitate teacher/student interactions and relationships. Model best practices of student support, emphasizing healthy and culturally relevant student-teacher relationships for aspiring teacher interns.
- Maintain strong relationships and consistent communication as main point of contact with parents/guardians, across a community with diverse language, cultural, and economic needs.
- Organize, coordinate and troubleshoot partnerships with Minneapolis Public Schools student transportation and food services.
- Build and maintain recruitment/liaison network across Minneapolis Public Schools [MPS] to build applicant pools of highly motivated students that are representative of the demographics of MPS.
- Create compelling presentations for prospective sixth grade students and their families.
- Oversee admission process from designing and reviewing applications to yielding an outstanding class of first-year students.
- Communicate with prospective parents and guardians about the value of LearningWorks and the level of commitment required to participate.
Data management, Measurement and Program Evaluation
- Gather qualitative [stories] and quantitative [results] data from student alums in high school and college.
- Maintain data exchange with Minneapolis Public Schools regarding contact info, attendance, and academic progress
- Perform administrative tasks such as coordinating mailings, filing, copying, record-keeping, and general office upkeep
- Manage advisory system, weekly student attendance, student evaluation and tracking
- Track middle school and high school students’ school and course enrollment, academic performance, and academic enrichment for 200+ students
- Continually assess program quality and effectiveness through student surveys and staff input